Apparently I should have known about this already! Small Business Saturday UK is a grassroots, non-commercial campaign, which highlights small business success and encourages consumers to ‘shop local’ and support small businesses in their communities.
The day itself takes place on the first Saturday in December each year, but the campaign aims to have a lasting impact on small businesses.
On Small Business Saturday, customers across the U.K. go out and support all types of small businesses, online, in offices and in stores. Many small businesses take part in the day by hosting events and offering discounts.
The next Small Business Saturday takes place on December 5th, 2020.
This is such a great idea, and something that I’ve really tried to get behind over lockdown – it was our small independent shops in Chester that really went above and beyond to keep us all fed, watered and in good spirits. Now things are a little bit back to (new) normal, I’m making sure to carry on spending my money more locally instead of drifting back to the big names.
My personal local heroes have been:
- Meltdown, Handbridge https://www.facebook.com/meltdownchester/. Probably the world’s best grilled cheese sandwiches, ready meals and fab coffee. And Kitty the spaniel xx
- Vendees, Handbridge https://www.facebook.com/VendeesLocalChester/. Corner shop supreme
- ExSqueeze Me Grocers, Handbridge https://www.facebook.com/Exsqueezeme.Chester/ Colourful fruit and veg and freshly squeezed juice.
- David Joinson Butchers http://davidjoinsonbutchershop.co.uk. Meat, yum.
- Morton’s Dairy (Milk delivery) https://www.mortonsdairies.co.uk. Milk and much, much more!
- Chester Beer and Wine, Handbridge https://chesterbeerandwine.co.uk What it says. Bonus shop greyhound.
- That Beer Place, Chester Market https://thatbeerplace.co.uk. My fave for obscure German beer. And orangeness.
- Paysan / Artichoke https://artichokechester.co.uk. Speediest wine delivery, maybe ever.
- Chef’s Table https://www.chefstablechester.co.uk. Amazing takeaway whilst the restaurant was closed, but, THIS IS NOT A DRILL – now reopen for deliciousness. Siu Tang will be forever in my heart.
- Hope Cottage Farm Shop, Broughton https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Specialty-Grocery-Store/Hope-Cottage-Farm-Shop-2114313405506529/. Sausage vending machines. That is all you need to know.
- Butternut Box, Online dogfood – not exactly local, but excellent delivery and the doggos love it!
Whilst I may venture back to the supermarket for the cupboard staples, I’m definitely going to be continuing my relationship with these top suppliers, and hope to be able to find some more.
You can find more information about Small Business Saturday here.
If your business would benefit from a new voiceover, phone message, or anything else, please get in touch with me at http://helenathomas.net